Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Fast, Faster, Fastest

2012 is coming to a close, and I've had so much on my plate that I've hardly had time to taste what life has thrown at us this year. We bought a house (unexpectedly). I went part time at work (unexpectedly). We took the vacation of a lifetime (expectedly). I've cooked, cleaned, steamed, diapered, clipped, snipped, and wiped. The year has gone fast. Faster. The fastest year ever.

We celebrated Christmas. I tried to slow time and enjoy it. I made sugared pecans. RJ, GiGi and I painted at the kitchen counter. We celebrated at school and at church.  We played and rested. Tomorrow, I end my holiday from work (I do actually work from time to time--even now). It has been a blessed, wonderful, fast, faster, fastest Christmas.


We took advantage of our beautiful 50 degree days with a slide for GiGi. She helped. 


But most of the credit goes to her Poppy, our own personal assembler and slide monitor. 



GiGi spent some quality time in her drawer. And by "in her drawer," I mean, in her drawer. 




Completely unrelated to her drawer, GiGi is learning about timeout (she has a matching set of gophers now and has learned to use them defensively--we are not a vampire baby and there will be no biting).


RJ celebrated with his class.  He asked to wear the elf hat to school. I assumed he'd lose interest and toss it in his cubby. I was wrong. He owned it. Wore it all day, complete with the remnants of his Rudolph nose that he wouldn't let me wash. He's a little politician with a touch of show choir thrown in.


RJ kicked off the Christmas weekend by convincing his daddy that I needed roses. He ordered that they be pink. Not red. Pink. He was right. Thoughtful little guy. 


We headed to the children's service on Christmas Eve. I am thankful for a little Lutheran church that understands children. Even when they're in the front row and put on a show. We sang silent night, not with candlelight, but with pink glowsticks. It still made me feel warm and Christmas-y.  RJ got lost on the way back to his seat after the children's serman, so Mommy had to step in. When I sneaked up behind him and touched his shoulder, he asked, "How did you know?" Mommy knows. She's magic.


This was the best shot I could get of them. They were a little bit excited. And this was before they knew Santa was coming during church. 


RJ didn't know quite what to think. Santa had come, but he was a little unsure. 


GiGi, on the other hand, was very sure. She was sure that Santa's cookies were delicious. 


It's Diesel 10! (For the un-initiated, he's the only evil train on the otherwise peaceful Island of Sodor and demands a premium because of that. Little boys love him.)  Santa brought RJ remote control trains. Fisher Price knows little boys. The trains have three speeds: fast, faster, fastest.  I feel like this is the definition of my life right now. I'm on the track running fast, faster, and fastest until the batteries give out. And then, I'll rest (kind of like I did today--we all napped and spent the day in PJ's--'cause some days are like that). 



A balance bird! It balances everywhere!


I got a baby doll! Oh my gosh!


RJ shopped for us at school. He got me an eyeliner pencil, his grandma eye shadow, and his Poppy some tools (a keychain with drill bits).  He also got himself a slinky, a pencil, and a dinosaur eraser. When I asked him about it, he told me, "The big kid said I could. I didn't break any rules, Mommy." But the best gift, "I know you like Ok-a-homa State Daddy." Someday he'll learn, but until then, this is officially the logo of Oklahoma State 'round this house.


GiGi took over photography.


And showed off the shoes her daddy picked out. She has a minor obsession with shoes. She caught a glimpse of my shoe rack last week and nearly danced with excitement: "Shoes!" She's my girl. No doubt about it. 


 GiGi loves her new teacart. She and her brother have served a hundred cups of tea so far. 


Pour some tea, stir it up, take a sip, from your cup.


We got a family Wii game. Our little go-cart driver is one happy camper. 


GiGi has the boots with the fur. And a Spiderman shirt. Because she wants to be just like Bubba.



Batman! (GiGi has a new word this weekend--Batman!) This photo is priceless: Batman and Spiderman together. 


Santa brought the boys remote control helicopters. The big boy is more excited than the small one. 


And the small one is pretty excited too. Although the time to charge the helicopters was a little much: "Is this gonna charge until God takes us to heaven?" 



Seriously happy with her tea cart.


Very, very serious business.


The best part of Christmas--they like each other! A lot!


After nearly 12 days of an upset tummy and a mewling "No" accompanied by a head shake, GiGi finally started eating again.  Lasagna was a full face event, and for once, I didn't mind a bit. (And yes, she is wearing a Tinkerbell sundress over her Christmas shirt. She liked it and felt pretty in it. Who am I to challenge her sense of style? My mom let me wear skirts made of neckties when I was younger.). 


Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Best Wishes, and Cheers to a New Year. 
Here's hoping that the train slows down--without running down the batteries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment