Monday, December 17, 2012

A Weekend Travel Review

I can't talk about what happened last week. Not now. Maybe never. For now, I'll hold my babies tighter, treasure every moment more, and try to make sense out of the unfathomable. I'm not ignoring what happened. I woke up Saturday morning with tears on my cheeks and couldn't think why until I remembered the news. Someday, maybe, I'll be able to formulate a reaction, but for now, I choose to pray for the families, hope for the future, and focus on my family. Because family is important. The little things are important. When I was about 11, my mom took me and my friend on a mini-vacation to a Holidome. It was awesome. We swam. We giggled. We generally escaped.

I had the chance to take my babies on a mini-vacation this past weekend.  I put the document reviews on hold, celebrated a settlement, and enjoyed my babies and my bestie. We visited the country music capital, the home of Shoji Tabuchi, Waltzing Waters, and some magnificent rock formations (if you listen to my bestie): Branson!

This wasn't my first trip to Branson, my second, or third either. It was probably my fifth, or maybe sixth. Not my first country jamboree.  It was, however, my first time to visit the Grand Country Inn. I bought a Groupon that entitled us to two nights, unlimited access to an indoor water park, four buffet breakfasts, miniature golf, and all the iced tea we could handle. The Grand Country pretends to be a resort. It's really a gathering of parking lots broken up by single story entertainment buildings housing a theater, a sprawling carbohydrate buffet, and an indoor arcade. Add in an indoor water park crouching down on the hillside, an indoor pool in a single story self-contained structure, and a smattering of motel rooms--all with the same green roof and twinkle lights, and you've got the Grand Country.

Our room was clean. Not impressive, but certainly clean enough. And, I found the real metal keys on real  plastic key chains invoked that sense of nostalgia that I craved this weekend. The beds were soft if worn a bit, and the tv was functional.  We had a view. Of the parking lot. Which was fine with me since it allowed us to keep our eye on the swagger wagon (it was her inaugural voyage!).

We went primarily for the indoor water park, which was unfortunate. I had illusions of grand cedar beams with that cedar-y smell, pleasantly warm water, and at least two or three slides plunging into pools--all of which were accessible just by a short walk, preferably inside. The reality was biting chemicals inside an older wooden building, which housed its entrance down three outdoor ramps--not at all pleasant in December with two small children.  The main attraction--a treehouse kind of play system with a huge bucket that periodically dumped ice water on those unfortunate enough to be standing under it--was scary for RJ. It scared me. The one slide was enclosed and shot its riders into a trough of water--no warm pool. The kiddy area had been unfortunately repaired multiple times with colored duct tape. And the restrooms were, well, just gross. (I swam on swim team for 10 years and managed a public pool. I know gross when I see it.).

An hour was all it took for us. It might be fun for older kids. The indoor pool was at best average for a hotel pool. It was clear enough, though not entirely clear. It was warm, and we were able to enjoy a good hour of swim time.

We did enjoy the mini-golf (though $7 a person seems steep to me) and the breakfast buffet (I'm a carbs for breakfast kind of gal--French toast with a side of toast please!).   And, RJ totally rocked the mike during the pre-show at Amazing Pets. His joke? "A tree walking!" "Ha!" He thought it was hilarious. I thought he was hilarious. And, he was so proud of himself: "I did it!" The audience couldn't help but give him a chuckle too.

The best parts of our trip were not at the Grand Country. We stumbled upon the Branson Railway and the Polar Express. We weren't able to get tickets, but my little guy was tickled all the same: "It's James!" He's convinced Thomas lives there too. We built a bear and a bunny too. We ate at Lambert's Cafe, home of the throwed roll. (I ate at the original, and Norm did magic tricks at our table. For real. He's probably the most famous person I've ever met.).

So, the Grand Country wasn't the water park adventure I had hoped. Not even close. But, it was the weekend I needed. I hugged my babies close. I smelled their hair and wiped their noses. I spent hours talking with my bestie. I didn't watch the news once. I giggled. I escaped. It was, in fact, a perfect weekend:


We're on our way! A one-year old. A four year old. A five hour drive. We're crazy!


We made it to the big McDonald's over the highway. (It's every bit as dirty as I remember it--even RJ was a little concerned.)


Three and a half hours into the drive...things are getting a little wild in the swagger wagon. 


GiGi is ready for the water park. I don't have picture of the water park because I didn't want to risk my camera. Suffice it to say, she was the best looking thing in there. 

Mini-golf! It's indoors and has a thundering rain storm every 15 minutes or so. Pretty exciting. 


Auntie Amy got caught in the weeds. 



GiGi played along. She had a ball for each hand and caddied for big brother. 


It's James! He was so excited.


We spent a lot of time this weekend snuggled like this. RJ seemed to know that I needed his little boy hugs and snuggles. More than once, he pressed his cheek to my hand and gave it a kiss--he loves "The Kissing Hand." (It's a terrific first-day-of-school book if you ever need one). 




It's blurry, but our photographer is only four. I think he did pretty good. 


We built a bear. RJ gave him his first "bath" and dressed his in underwear and Skechers. He named him Bear, last name Bear: Bear Bear. I call him Bare Bear (hee hee). He made a wish on Bear Bear's heart: "I wish I could give Bear Bear a heart." His wish came true. Sometimes he's still such a baby it makes my heart hurt. This growing up thing is hard work. (I dropped my camera and lost the picture of him hugging Bear Bear that evening. At least I didn't lose them all!). 

We saw Santa at the Branson Landing too.  RJ told him he wants a remote control helicopter. That is all. Santa's elves need to get busy. 


Can  you believe he'd never been to Krispy Kreme? I couldn't either. 


She's a first timer too. 



We made it to the outlet mall. The best part? The dump truck, of course. 



My little bathing beauty queen--the best part of our water park experience. 
Someday she'll be Miss America. 


Or not. Can you believe she did this? In a restaurant!? For shame. For shame. 
This is not acceptable for Miss America, GiGi. 


 Can you believe she used to look like this? I miss those little baby-doll wrists. 


RJ is pretty pleased with Bear Bear (Bare Bear--heehee). GiGi built a bunny. Her name is Bunny Bunny. We're creative like that. 

And, we are happy to be home. Happy to be with each other. And, happy for hugs, snuggles, a little nostalgia, and a lot of fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment