Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Little Machine, A Little Accomplishment

Things got bigger when I became a mom. Bigger dreams. Bigger jeans. Bigger chores. Bigger car. So, sometimes I have to remind myself that it's not always about the big things. Sometimes, it's the little things that matter. The little things that make me feel accomplished.

I fixed a vacuum cleaner. Really. I did. And just in time. I have bulimic cats. They eat and barf. And then they barf some more. In the middle of the night, when you think there's nothing they could possibly find to barf about.  They barf some more.  So, I needed a vacuum cleaner--a fancy one. A cleaning machine. I had a Little Green Machine, but it broke. I ordered the parts online (the modern, slightly more efficient parts store than sitting on ripped stools at Auto Electric every Saturday while dad ordered parts--thanks for teaching me about parts stores, Dad.).

Tonight, I had an hour. I took the Little Green Machine apart. All the way apart. I could see wires and hoses and switches. And I took a deep breath, analyzed the wires and switches, and I fixed a vacuum cleaner. It works now! I can clean the cat barf!

A little machine. A little accomplishment. But, I sure feel pretty big about it right now.

(Note to self: Make sure to teach GiGi about tools, parts stores, and patience. Someday, she'll need little things too.).

No comments:

Post a Comment