Monday, April 29, 2013

A Not So Ordinary Sunday Afternoon

We want our children to experience a lot of different things. Realistically, we're both lawyers land locked in Oklahoma.  We don't live a limited existence by any means, but we do find ourselves at the zoo, the park, and the zoo (if it's in another city it's new!)  more often than not. That is, we tend to stick to what works--places that welcome goldfish crackers, red Koolaid, and that don't close their doors to saggy Huggies and booger nose. Kid places.

In my perfect world, my children would be speaking two languages and learning to play their second instruments by now. My world isn't perfect. But, with the blessing of family, we've been able to introduce RJ (and ourselves) to a new culture. I have a cousin who's from Japan (technically, second cousin, two times removed or something like that, but I like to claim her as a cousin).  She's beautiful and smart, and as a bonus, she loves my kids. They love her too.

Apparently, she's also modest.  Yesterday, was just an ordinary Sunday afternoon, until she invited RJ to come learn the Japanese art of Kendo.  Google tells me that Kendo is a modern Japanese martial art or sport that combines traditional martial arts values with sport-like strenuous physical activity.  What my cousin and Google didn't tell me is this: Kendo is an incredibly physical sport that requires the fortitude of a boxer and the grace of a ballerina--all while wearing a full face mask and wielding a sword.

In RJ's world? It was just a tremendously fun afternoon. I hope that someday he'll realize what a unique opportunity he has to learn from one of the best in her sport.  Because, she's talented and graceful and powerful in her art. And, if you ask her about it? She'll tell you that it's just something she's been doing since she was five years old.

My five year old is just hoping that he'll get to sword fight again sometime soon. I'm grateful that he was able to spend a Sunday afternoon learning something new in landlocked Oklahoma:


RJ tries on the men (helmet)--he was scared of it, but if he wants to be a warrior, he'll have to learn to overcome those fears. 


Look closely. Her feet aren't touching the floor. 



RJ was the youngest in the class by about six years. And he owned it. 
I rarely see him so focused. 


But why wouldn't he be focused? He got to sword fight! (His feet are just barely touching the floor, but I think it's for an entirely different reason). 


See? I told you she's a beauty. And we're so very happy that she gives our babies (and us) the chance to learn about a different culture--even on an ordinary Sunday afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment