Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Gym Short

One of RJ's favorite songs is from the movie "Madagascar 2." It is called "Big and Chunky." I do not make up things like this. And I quote, "I like 'em big, I like 'em chunky. I like 'em big. I like 'em plumpy." 

Today, I ate four Rolos, two Hershey's miniature Mr. Goodbars, waffle fries, and a fried chicken sandwich. After six o'clock. P.M. 

I felt big and plumpy. So, I decided to visit the gym for the first time in, let's just call it "a while." I used to be a gym rat. No longer. But, I steeled myself, took a deep breath and walked in. I faced the front desk guardian and held my head high when she had to re-enter my information so that I could log in. (Apparently the system deletes you if you haven't visited in "a while."). 

I took my plumpy self up to the fitness room where I faced a wall of new equipment. I carefully selected an elliptical trainer and stepped on. Plugged in my headphones, and away I went. But I didn't go. At least not the way an elliptical goes. Because you see, I hadn't stepped on an elliptical trainer. I had mounted a stair climber. As in, it'll make you climb approximately 25 flights in 20 minutes. I know this because rather than face the embarrassment of immediately dismounting the machine in front of the plumpy man on the machine beside me, I chose to step it out. 

My knees are wobbly. My booty aches. And I'm not sure I'll be able to climb out of bed in the morning. But at least I won't take it personally in the morning if RJ sings "I like 'em round, with somethin' somethin'." Because I may feel like a bowl full of jello, but my gym shorts fit just a little bit better, and I don't feel quite so plumpy. 

(My next post shall be titled: My Favorite Things--Ibuprofen, Heating Pads, and Rest). 


No comments:

Post a Comment