Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Continuing Legal (Life) Ed

I just returned from two full days away from R.J. while Brian and I went to Las Vegas. I knocked out my continuing education requirements while Brian played poker with a colleague's husband. A good weekend with many lessons learned.

One: I worry about the kind of woman my son will find to marry. I'm serious about this. I saw way too many young girls, too drunk with not enough clothing. But then again, it was Vegas--not the school picnic. 

Two: margaritas can make the second night away from my baby far more tolerable. But, I still missed his chirpy "Yake UP mama!"  (and on that note, a light-up margarita glass can make a terrific toddler ice cream bowl).

Three: a two-year old can gain an entirely new vocabulary in just a few short days. R.J. has taken to telling us, "I slept well," when he wakes up. Last night, we saw another toddler pitching a fit in Target. R.J.'s first response: "She need blanket." (empathy). My question to him, "Do you really think she needs a blanket?"  His response, thoughtfully watching her, "No, she need timeout." (self righteous--he is my child, after all).

Four: judges do not like name calling among attorneys (I really did go to my classes).

Five: an iPhone isn't just for entertaining bored toddlers.

Six: there is no substitute for peace of mind when it comes to your child. A loving grandma who bakes cookies, plays cars, and generally keeps the peace at home can make for a restful vacation. I am very grateful for my mom. Always have been. Always will be. But now that I'm a mom, I'm grateful in a different way. Not only does she want the best for me, she wants the best for my baby. There's no substitute for that.

Seven: (lucky seven, how 'bout that?)  Poker tournaments are cheaper than blackjack, and you get hours of entertainment instead of minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment