Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Work Life Balance

Work life balance. As a lawyer, I hear that phrase all the time. More accurately, I’ve heard that there is no balance as a mommy lawyer--it’s an everyday juggling act. I think it’s somewhere in between.  There’s a prioritization that must be done, and at each step, something will be sacrificed.  

Before entering an appearance on the mommy docket, I did what some say are “outstanding” things in my life. I’ve been in an all-state orchestra; I’ve been number one in my law school class (temporarily at least); I graduated with honors with three college degrees. I learned last night, however, that there is no prouder moment in a mommy’s life than when her little boy wrestles the balance beam all by himself and wins!

Cheering alongside him, “You can do it, Boogie! Keep going!” I watched as RJ weebled and wobbled his way across the balance beam to the platform. “Ta-da!” he said, as he grinned his baby grin. “One, two three, look at me!”

I didn’t bill 8 hours at work yesterday, and I didn’t have any big wins. I did get home in time for dinner and gymnastics. So, yes, it was a good night. And, a good reminder of just how little the big things can become and how big the little things should be. I hope I remember to end my daily balancing act well too: “Ta-da!”

No comments:

Post a Comment