Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Morning Rush

Sometimes I wonder who the toddler-at-heart really is. I am: cranky, irritable, tired, itchy, scratchy, and whiny. My child is: happy, polite, toughing out a rash, and welcoming the day with gusto. I tried to get out of the house this morning with some resemblence of professionalism. I stripped the soaked bedding (overnight Huggies are not sufficient for my boy) and got it in the washer. I carefully placed my phone on the bed where I would find it when it was time to leave. I put on my makeup. I made waffles.

And then, someone in the cosmos hit the giant "flush" button, and my well-planned morning went straight down the toilet. I turned around for two seconds, and RJ had a quart sized cup of water poised and ready to pour over the rug. I lost my phone. (under RJ's bathrobe). I had to fight RJ for my briefcase. (I gave him a wheelie suitcase to calm his tears). My pants didn't fit (dry cleaners must have shrunk them again, right?).

I was, as usual, late for work. And I rode up the elevator with not one, not two, but three shareholders who will be voting on my admission in just a short year and a half.

But, as I've mentioned before, this firm is family friendly. The people are family friendlier. The shareholders have children. They've fought the briefcase battle. And the computer battle. And the phone battle. And more importantly, they remember fighting those battles.

As I sit in my office this morning, calm settles in. Perhaps, just perhaps, this day can be rescued yet. Updates to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment