Thursday, January 26, 2012

A trip to the doctor

I have been blessed with healthy children. I can count the number of ear infections on one finger, and the stomach flu has only visited twice in nearly four years. But we do have our moments. Last Monday was one of them. RJ had a fever. He smelled pretty bad too. The smeller's the feller. He told me, "Mommy, something stinks. It smells like poop. Make it stop!" (After the Advil kicked in he told me he was the feller: "I stink. I have bad gas.").

So, off to the doctor we went. And, as it seems to be in a child's world, he was fine at the doctor's office. "I okay." "I don't needa shot." Once assured that there would be no shots, he opened up to the doctor: "I have snot. And gas."

He also discussed his blankie. " 'Dis is fuffy. It's a nice blanket." His doctor told him she as a blanket too. "You do? Where? Where's your house?" (I'd like to know too given that GiGi's two month immunizations were billed at nearly 700 dollars to insurance).

I imagine his pediatrician remembered his appointment that day. He has apparently read all of the articles about taking control of his own  health and his appointment. Asked to hop up on the table, he told the doctor: "No, that's okay. You can doctor me in the chair." And she did.

He made sure he got his sticker too. Even though there was no shot.

The diagnosis? A cold.

We have been blessed with healthy children. So, every fever warrants a trip to the doctor--even a common cold apparently. Another day in the life. Another appointment in the book. Another RJ conversation I didn't want to forget. These are the days I want to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment