Saturday, November 27, 2010

There's a Right to Privacy?

We are blessed to live a country founded on principles of freedom and protection.  We are guaranteed freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and we are promised protection from our enemies. We are also assured of certain rights to privacy. It has become abundantly clear to me that the founding fathers did not take part in potty training. While I can't confirm, I suspect that James Madison wasn't helping any little Madisons to the outhouse on a cold winter morning.

I, on the other hand, awoke this morning to a two-year old peering at me sweetly. "Mommy needs to go to the bathroom," I tell him. "Okay," he follows me, little feetie 'jamas padding on the floor behind me. I have not gone to the bathroom at home without an audience in 18 months.  (I'm actually thankful for the peace of the corporate potty).  I sit. He stands in front of me, puts his hands on my knees: "I got you. You no fall in." I'm grateful for the assurance. It's 7 a.m. I am not a morning person.

"Yay!" he applauds. "You get M.M!" He's catching on. Soon enough he'll be earning his own M & Ms. For now, I'm thankful for that little morning sugar rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment