Friday, November 12, 2010

Score!

If you have ever had a puppy or a kitten, then you understand my day yesterday: potty training. R.J. woke up and said, "I go potty." Score!  He wants to use a potty!  Visions of a sweetly scented nursery with a diaper pail gone missing flashed through my head.

As R.J. likes to point out ever so often, "Mommy's a girl." Because I am a girl, until yesterday, I did not fully appreciate the capabilities of the male anatomy. My child peed on the floor. He peed on the wall. He peed on the rug, the toilet seat, the side of the bathtub, and of course, on me. It is a true testament of a mother's love that I have physically taught him to "point it down! point it down!"

I'm a lawyer, not a cheerleader. Yet I spent a vast amount of time sitting in floor in front of the potty cheering, "C'mon tinkler, tinkle! C'mon tinkler, tinkle!"  I applauded. I gasped in admiration. I gave M & M's. He grinned, hopped off the potty and then squatted and tinkled in the floor.

At the end of the day, he reached across the change table, grabbed his overnight Huggie, looked at me with that crinkle-nosed grin and said, "A Huggie! Score!" 

(Editor's Note: A very special thank you to our darling nanny who cheered, applauded, and gasped in admiration along with me. After all, every man needs his own cheer leading squad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment