Thursday, November 18, 2010

Green Eyed Cat

A good friend is leaving the practice of law tomorrow. And, I'm jealous. I admit it. I'm jealous that she's going to take her little boy to school every day and get to pick him up. If the teacher needs a homeroom mom, she's your woman. Potty training her little girl? Yes, please, she can do that too.  Keep track of time in tenths of an hour? Nope. That burden is gone. Dinner on the table, laundry folded, grocery shopping midweek....I can practically see myself following her footsteps.

But.

I love my job. I do. Some days I feel like I'm convincing myself that I love it rather than really embracing what has been given to me.  I have a fantastic office with a 17-story view of downtown.  I can run up or down the hall and ask questions to some of the greatest legal minds in Oklahoma (or anywhere quite frankly). My firm lets me bring my boy to visit, and the great legal minds all ask how he's doing with his potty training.  I am challenged every day. Some days, a little too much, and some days not quite enough. I have friends here too, and I don't take that for granted. 

Days like today, I need little reminders that it's all worth it.  I am reminded that my little boy is home with a nanny who loves him as much as I do.  With some luck, a sprinkle of prayer, and a lot of hope, she'll work with our family for many years to come.  I am reminded that the laundry police will not be making an appearance at my house tonight, nor will the white glove cleaning committee.  I am reminded that dinner will get to the table by the grace of the crockpot, one bowl of chili at a time. And, I'm reminded that I do love my job.

I just need convincing. So, I remember a poem from a childhood novel long ago (to which I would give credit if I could remember who wrote it):

Jealous, nasty, green-eyed cat
We don't want you here
So Scat!

No comments:

Post a Comment