Sunday, December 21, 2014

The More Things Change

They say that the more things change, the more they stay the same. 


Of course, that's the point of a tradition.  Things shouldn't change.  


Much. 

We're knee deep in Christmas cheer. The cheer has taken over my living room, where that darn elf has broken the seminal rule: do not touch my folded laundry. The cheer has exploded in my bedroom, where boxes litter the floor like the aftermath of a child's birthday party (how did parents do it all before  Amazon Prime?). 

But really, isn't this a big birthday party? 

Last week, RJ's show-n-tell theme was the letter "K." (Gigi's was "triangle.). They have show-n-tell themes now. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find something that starts with an "X" for a three-year old to bring and discuss? I digress. 

RJ had to find something that started with a "K," and we had 10 minutes to get out the door. "King!" I shouted. "You can take a king from the nativity scene! Go grab one and let's go!" RJ ambled over to the nativity scene, paused, and lifted the baby jesus from the manger. "I got the king, mom." Indeed you did, little man, and thank you for the reminder. 

Traditions. We have ours: sandwiches on Christmas Eve--with the fancy mustard;  the elf (who will not too soon fly away home); The Sound of Music and Christmas  Vacation, and of course, our own birthday party: 



For now, this is one tradition that is holding steady.  



My heart can't take it anymore!

Three years ago, Little Miss celebrated her first pre-school Christmas party. 

So did her brother. 

This year, it was her turn to sit at the big kids' table. 

Three years ago, RJ celebrated pajama movie day solo. 

This year, baby sis tagged along for her own celebration. 

Some things don't change much, and I hope they don't. 

We're keeping up with our traditions far better than I'm keeping up with my blog these days. 

Big things have happened; bigger things are going to happen. 

Someday (soon), I'll have important things to share. For now, I'm taking a break and enjoying a season of traditions (that thankfully don't include billable hours any more). 

Holiday cheers to you!






No comments:

Post a Comment