Friday, December 9, 2011

One Christmas Tradition

New advertising campaigns are dedicated to tradition. I try to follow some traditions. I try to make some new ones. But, for us, it's not a matter of creating or sticking to tradition.  Some things just haven't changed much.

I went to a little Lutheran school where we did little Christmas programs every year. In kindergarten, I was a little French girl in a little French girl dress--made by my mom, of course. I felt really special: 


But in hindsight, we each played a special part: 


Years of little Lutheran Christmas programs followed. Each with a special dress or costume. (Each made by mom, of course): 

There was the shepherd girl: 


(with a sheer scarf so my hair would show. It was freezing that night. I still remember the smell of ice in the air. )

There was the pretty princess ribbon dress--a compromise. I wanted gold lame'. Mom said no. She was right. In the '80s little girls didn't wear gold lame' (but Barbie did). I still felt really pretty:  


 (Santa came during the church service.)

And then, there was the angel: 


I had one line: "The King has arrived!" I sold it. Loud and clear. Brought down the house. (The hottie is my mom, of course--love her).

Eight years of little Lutheran Christmas programs. And then they ended. I graduated 6th grade. We still went to church on Christmas Eve. But Christmas wasn't quite the same without the hours of rehearsal, nerves, costumes, and of course, cookies and red Koolaid afterward. 

Until this year. 

R.J. goes to a little Lutheran school. And, we went to a little Lutheran Christmas program. He wore a special vest (made by my mom, of course): 


(Gigi dressed up too and added her own soundtrack.)

He felt pretty special. RJ's teacher tells me he's her most sensitive student, and she worried about him handling the crowd. RJ will tell you he's shy. Johnny Carson claimed he was shy too.  RJ walked in, saw me, and waved. He saw his daddy from the stage: "Hi Daddy!" He sang. He celebrated.

Afterward, we ate cookies and drank red Koolaid.  I hope that RJ's classmates felt special too, because each played a special part. 

This year, for the first time in a long time, my Christmas season is complete. The King Has Arrived! And, we intend to celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment