Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Little Realities

Yesterday, I went to grab a pair of shoes from my shoe rack. On the shelf, beside my peep-toe pumps was a tiny, shiny pair of mary janes with sparkle bows on the toes. Beside my slip-on sneakers? A tiny pair of purple Crocs. Gigi had been shopping for shoes again, leaving hers behind for me to wear.

It made me smile. And then I almost wanted to cry. My baby is two-years old. She believes she can be Cinderella, that her brother will grow up to be Prince Charming, and in her eyes, there's no one prettier than her mommy. Soon enough that will change. She'll develop her own style (she already has her own opinions about it). She'll figure out that some days, she'll be Cinderella before her fairy godmother visits--wearing ratty sweatpants and scrubbing floors. One of these days, she'll realize that mommy really isn't the model in the magazine picture (Thank you, Gigi, for that boost of confidence). Reality will set in.

And I hate that it will.

So, for now, I'm basking Gigi's reality (and RJ's too--because he's a pretty funny kid). These are their realities and little moments that I just don't want to forget:


  • If you really, really want something fun or tasty, ask for it twice. Gigi asks us, "Can I watch the tv tv?" "Can I have some candy candy?" Because two times is twice as nice. 
  • Lucifer (the cat in Cinderella) is seriously scary. While watching the movie in the carpool line, I noticed Gigi gripping her car seat. When I asked her if she was okay, she responded by reaching for my hand. She held it until Lucifer was relaxed by the fire, and Gus (the mouse) was safely out of harm's way. 
  • Cinderella is the best movie ever. Even for little boys. RJ's favorite part? When Cinderella gets her princess gown. (He is going to make some lucky girl an amazing husband someday.) "Wait, mom! Don't turn it off! This is the best part of the movie!" And so we sat in the parking lot (we spend a lot of time in the car), awaiting the creation of the glass slippers. He also tried to convince his bestie--also a five-year old boy--that this was the best part of the movie. His bestie wasn't buying it. 
  • Gigi really wants a carriage. "I wish I could ride in the carriage. I want a big one!" (Note to daddy: better start saving now, I hear the insurance premiums on those can run pretty high.)
  • The only thing better than Cinderella? Curious George. "George [pause for reflection] is a little bit funny and a little bit calm. That's why it's so good," at least, according to RJ. 
  • Even if RJ likes George because it's a little bit calm, he's still a little boy. He's a little boy who wants to take violin lessons, until he thought better of it. "Wait! I have an idea!" he told me. "Do they teach drum lessons?" (For the record, no, no they do not teach drum lessons.)

I can't keep my kids from growing up. But I can enjoy their reality right now. And next week, I hope I find a tiny pair of sequined Hello Kitty flats in my shoe rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment