Wednesday, October 24, 2012

On Jesus and Santa Claus

Christmas is confusing. We say it's to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and RJ's school teaches him to sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus instead of "Here Comes Santa Claus." But, Santa Claus still visits our house. So does our holiday elf, Hamilton Hank Holiday. (A few weeks ago, RJ tried to trip me up by asking me the name of that little guy who wears green and who visits our house around Christmas. I nearly couldn't remember. Note to self, any future elves shall be named Bill, Sally, Ralph, or Mary.).

Because he's four, RJ spends a lot of time analyzing the finer points of Christmas, like how Santa makes toys, why there are toys at WalMart, and how Jesus helps fill the stockings. This morning on the way to school (because RJ likes to debate fine philosophical questions before 9 a.m.), RJ asked me, "Mommy, Do Jesus make toys?"

Not thinking in terms of Christmas (because it's October, and I'm not a retailer), I answered, "Of course he does."

"Then, do he help Santa?"

Oh snap.

"Yes, I think so. Hey, look over there, it's a broken stoplight!" Distraction fail.

"Mommy, I think I know. Santa make some toys. Jesus makes some toys. And that's what they call 'fairian.' Do that make sense?"

You betcha. Fairian--definition: (1) the process by which Santa makes half the toys, and Jesus makes the other half; (2) also known as the way we celebrate Christmas with Santa, Hamilton Hank Holiday and also sing Happy Birthday Jesus.

The power of four-year old logic. Flawless.

P.S. I had to look up the word "fairian" just to make sure that RJ didn't really know something I didn't know. He doesn't. I'm still smarter than a four-year old. Barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment