Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cooking Up Something

I cooked! This is cause for celebration. The Crockpot has been on hiatus since February, and my skillet has nearly lost its seasoning. I used to cook about once a month. Well, I cooked nearly every day; family dinner is important to us. RJ is the rare four year old who eats with his napkin in his lap and asks us, "So, how was your day been?" "How was work?" and "How was [your boss]? Did he change his attitude?" ( I may or may not make comments that my boss needs an attitude adjustment on occasion). RJ is perceptive.

Cooking up something for supper is no small feat, working mom or not, kids or not. It's hard to hit the door at 5 or 6 or 7 and manage to get something on the table in any reasonable time.  For the past few months, I have relied entirely too much on the Schwan man and his happy little yellow truck. We've eaten more than our fair share of overpriced (but entirely delicious) casseroles. I need to get back in my freezer routine.

So, Saturday morning, RJ, GiGi and I embarked on a grocery mission. We shopped. RJ drove a "truck truck" cart (he loves the carts with a car on the front--his mother might be immature enough to race them in the parking lot while laughing hysterically. maybe.). GiGi charmed the senior set who were also shopping at 8 a.m. And then I cooked! And because I know that I always appreciate hearing what other working mommies manage to throw together, here is what I cooked (all easy, nearly all freezer friendly):

--Lasagna RJB style, otherwise known as jumbo cheese stuffed pasta shells topped with sauce and mozzerella. It's easy to divide into individual servings and freeze and cooks up nearly as well as the real deal.

--Sloppy joe's.  Freezer friendly, super quick, can be served on bread, tortillas, or chips, and sometimes, I just cook up the meat and throw it in the Crockpot while we run errands or head to church.

--Lots o' grilled chicken.  Pre-grilled chicken breasts to be used in chicken chili this week. New recipe, so I'll let you know how it goes. It will surely go well, as the recipe was handed down from several legal secretaries at my firm, and those ladies know how to cook.

--Bisquick sausage balls, Paula Deen style. I love Paula Deen, diabetes scandal and all. She cooks like I wish I could (and still maintain my figure). RJ is not a breakfast person, but breakfast is a new favorite with these. Super fast, super easy, and I made them with turkey sausage, so they're healthy. er. Healthi-er.

Banana Pudding--I hate banana pudding. But Hubbsie loves it, and so does GiGi apparently. The instant kind, because who has time to cook it?

Also on the agenda this week, The Pioneer Woman's tortilla roll-ups. Homemade herbed cream cheese is the key. Even RJ will eat veggies rolled up in one of these.

And, of course, the staple of my household--the bean burrito. Seriously. One can of beans. Shredded cheese. Tortillas. Fill, wrap, and freeze. They take a minute to heat up and are kind of sort of healthy. Better than a bucket of cheese balls anyway. (Note to self: Never, ever buy the big bucket of cheese balls again. RJB loses interest way before I do, and I have zero willpower when it comes to powdered cheeses).

I'm trying out a new recipe a week for a while. New adventures in cooking. Someday I'll learn to make my mom's fried chicken. But first up, pickles! I think it will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment