Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pink! Flowers! Ruffles! Love!

It's Valentine's Day! Pink! Flowers! Ruffles! Love! It is my holiday. I love Valentine's Day. But, this year, I almost let the world beat me down. While we certainly haven't had what qualifies as a bad year so far, we have had a trying year. I lost an old friend last week; he was 41.  Things like that make me question my faith. Coworkers are quitting by the busload leaving unanswered and unasked questions.  Things like that make me question my career.  One kid is hard work. Two are exponentially harder. Add in the stomach flu, uncertainty at work, and mix in a dose or two of self pity. Things like that make me question my life's pathways.  It has not been a bad year. But, it has been a trying year. So far.

But things are looking up.  Today I finally felt it again--that warm, sunshiney feeling you get when somebody loves you. Or when you love them. I felt it today when I watched GiGi burst into sympathy tears for RJ who  had fallen and hurt his boom-boom on his Kawasaki motorcycle. (They recovered). I felt it when I saw GiGi beat her feet together for cereal with apple juice (little woman likes her groceries). I felt the love when I squeezed the little jelly fat roll behind GiGi's knee and when I washed under her chin(s) to the sound of belly laughs and giggles. I felt the love when RJ finally got his Diesel 10 train and told me, "I love Balentine's Day." I felt it when RJ squeezed GiGi's apple cheeks in a hug of brotherly love. I felt the warm sunshiney feeling when RJ hugged me tight and licked my cheek. I would say he kissed my cheek, but no one likes a liar.

It's Valentine's Day!  No one has fever! No one is barfing! (well, except GiGi, but she always barfs--she's a little teapot--just tip her over and pour her out). The sun is out! The snow is melting! Pink! Flowers! Ruffles! Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment