Friday, December 30, 2011

Baby Jesus is Where?

Christmas is over. RJ is sad. It makes me sad to find that the after Christmas let-down begins as early as age 3. He cried when we mentioned taking down the Christmas lights, and he is insistent that Hamilton Hank Holiday (our elf) should stay for a longer visit. But, as Dr. Seuss says, "Today was good, today was fun, tomorrow is another one."

And so today, I began the task of taking down our Christmas decorations. Collapsed are the honeycomb paper trees. Silenced is Snoopy playing "Oh Christmas Tree." The lights are dark, and the gingerbread house is stale.

Of course, with a toddler (or is he a preschooler now? Gasp!), there are always a few surprises. I started to put away the candy village, complete with the plastic candy house (not to be confused with the real gingerbread house, which would NOT survive an Oklahoma spring anyway--construction isn't my gig). In the chimney, I found a surprise. Baby Jesus. No, really. Baby Jesus. He's been missing from our little nativity set for a while. Apparently RJ thought he needed somewhere warmer than the manger. Fortunately, we didn't need our plastic Jesus to remember the "reason for the season." A rare opportunity to sit in church with my mom, dad, husband, and two children helped me to keep Jesus in my Christmas. I rescued Baby Jesus--he's now snug in his manger. Once again, Christmas has gone. But, the warm snuggly feeling I have after a Christmas with my boy and my new baby girl will be here all year. I'm glad. These Oklahoma winters are cold.

(More to follow on Christmas as soon as I find 20 minutes to upload photos. The weather here is beautiful, and I've made the right decision and spent every afternoon outside rather than trapped at a computer. As soon as a blizzard arrives, so will Christmas pictures and tales).

No comments:

Post a Comment