Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Very Good Day

I believe in family. I believe in God. And, I believe that some events give us a rare opportunity to see how the two come together. Today was one of those days. We were blessed to celebrate GiGi's baptism today.

I tormented myself over what I would (could) wear (fit into).  I ironed RJ's trousers and tightened his suspenders. My mom made the most beautiful christening gown I've seen, and she faced her fears, driving 100 miles in blinding fog to deliver the dress.  My dad braved the same blinding fog and hoisted a heavy "wheelchair ramp" for his aging best friend (a boxer dog) into the truck so that he could come too. GiGi didn't barf on the dress (it's the little things).  And, RJ was  a perfect gentleman during the service.

My lifelong friend celebrated with us along with my mother-in-law, aunt, uncle, cousins, and dear friend.   We welcomed GiGi into the church family, and we welcomed our family into our home for a slightly homemade meal. (2 jars of Ragu with my friend's "secret seasoning" baked in a crockpot for 2 hours for those who are interested).

What I will remember about today is not my dress. Or the fact that the camera flashed right through the skirt leaving me with pictures not for public viewing. I won't remember RJ's creased trousers or the "lunch break" GiGi had to take mid-service requiring me to spend some quality time in the ladies room. (Dresses are not feeding friendly; you'd think I would know this as a second-time mom).

I will remember the christening gown with GiGi's name lovingly embroidered along the hem. I will remember GiGi's godparents promising to pray for her. I will remember RJ promising to teach his sister about Jesus.

I will remember my promise to pray for GiGi, just as I promised to the same for RJ three years ago. And I do. I pray that he will love his sister. (He does). I pray that he will understand that I have to take care of her sometimes during our snuggle time. (He's getting there). And, I pray that I will always have the memories of today with friends and family gathered around my table--standing room only.  Chocolate sheet cake and shared stories.  RJ promising to learn to speak Japanese. Conversations with my dad at standing at the kitchen counter. GiGi sound asleep on the shoulders of her grandmas, her poppy, and in her brother's lap.

I believe in the power of family.  And I believe in God. I believe in God because of days like today, where my family and friends, who are all very different, all gather around the family table and celebrate a new life.  We welcomed GiGi into the church family today, and today, we welcomed our family into our church.  A very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment