Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Summer Strawberries

Several years ago, let's say three just to make it seem more normal than, say, seven years, I started looking at baby clothes. Not really shopping. Just looking. And occasionally buying. When I shopped for friends, I would on the exceptionally rare occasion see something and think, "This is so adorable, I will never find anything like it again," and in the cart it would go.

This seemed perfectly normal. Until I got pregnant. With a boy. I visited my baby stash and was neither surprised nor horrified to discover that I had no baby boy outfits in the bunch.

There's the ever so tiny lace trimmed white cardigan (that fits my cat Boo perfectly--just please don't ask how I know this).  There's a pink velour warm-up suit with kitten ears and a resounding "Meow!" appliqued across the front. And, there are blue 'jammies with darling little strawberries dancing across the front.

God knew what he was doing in giving me a boy first. I am more measured. More tempered in my approach to all things baby. Our carseat is a sensible gray/blue that doesn't show stains (God also gave talented ladies the skill to make pink carseat covers--just sayin'). And, I wouldn't change a thing about my boy. He is sweet and snuggly. He loves his mommy--I know because he tells me so. And, he lets me paint his toenails. But, I digress.

Strawberries. Dancing on little girl 'jammies. I don't know what it is about strawberries. Is it the Strawberry Shortcake dolls I so loved? (I still remember that cloying pink sweet plastic smell). My grandma's kitchen was decorated with strawberries. Maybe that's it. Or, maybe it's the promise of summer.

Last week, I learned I am having a baby girl. The strawberry 'jammies will not be wasted. And, I've wasted no time. There are pink onsies. And green ones with daisies. Ruffle-bottom sailor suits--in two sizes! And so today I sit inside on a sunny summer-ish day, professional, drafting protective orders and other "important" stuff--with happy thoughts of summer strawberries (and the little girl who will wear them).

1 comment: