Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Donkeys Have No Tails

I love birthdays. You get a cake. And presents. And, everyone sings a song with your name in it. There are games and choreographed routines. Wait? Choreographed routines? What?! My birthday parties were a covey of preteen girls, giggling well into the night about who was cuter, Kirk Cameron or Mark- Paul Gosselaar. We watched "Harry and the Henderson's," played in the sprinkler in the yard, and ate chocolate cake.  One year, I decorated the house myself--with aluminum foil bows and streamers (thanks to my mom for letting be creative).

When I was two, I had a Raggedy Ann cake, and lots of love from my grandparents:


I went cake diving in a flurry of ruffles. There were balloons. We played games like pin-the-tail on the donkey. And, I shared my cake blessings with friends (in particular my now hubby in a darling sailor suit):


My third birthday was much of the same: toddlers cake diving, some shaking of homemade pompoms, fruit punch, and everyone went home sugared and happy:


Yesterday, R.J. went to a nowadays toddler party. Two grown women catered to the toddling tiara- wearer. They sang songs (plural) with her name in them. We all (grown-ups too) participated in a parade in her honor--bells jingling and shakers shaking. At gift time, the "hostesses" kept a list of gifts and givers. The kids played for two hours on trampolines, slides, and bouncers. They choreographed a routine with ribbons:


No doubt, the toddlers had fun, and I suspect some of the parents did too. I enjoyed seeing R.J. boogie down, and I even enjoyed his opinion of the cake (not just this particular cake, but cake in general, but that's a story for another day): 


But, no one pinned the tail on a donkey.  So, my question is this--How can we turn back the clock and save the donkeys? If we do this much for a toddler party, what on earth do we do for weddings? Or graduations? Or confirmations? I love my little boy, but I question whether it's really necessary to spent $200 on a facility rental for a two-year old.  As much as I can remember, cake with frosting and homemade pompoms was more than enough--even in my teens, I remember my parties because of the time I spent with my friends. Giggling at my dad because he had to vacuum the confetti while I herded the gigglers outside. Cake, ice cream, and Dr. Pepper.

I want my wee one to feel like he's important and loved on his birthday. And, he will. Be it balloons with grandparents, slumber parties with movies and popcorn, or a day at the park.  A greater concern then, is while the bears are being built, the routines choreographed, and the parades parading, who will take care of those poor tail-less donkeys? I suspect I will take up their cause at R.J.'s third birthday party.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. Cake, balloons, presents, and love are all they really need. The big birthday parties are neat, but confusing at this age. When we visit any kind of play gym now, mine runs around for a while and then asks for cake. /sigh

    p.s. You aren't the only one... http://www.eeboo.com/product.php?cat=25&prod=42

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, all toddlers really want is attention and sugar. My daughter's second birthday is coming up at the end of the month. I think cake and balloons are a big deal, but we're also going to let the little ones jump around on our bouncer. I guess in our case the bouncer is replacing the donkey.

    ReplyDelete