Friday, September 15, 2017

It Was....Summer

There is a special moment in every mother's life. It's a moment of calm resolution. A moment of self reflection. A brief, overwhelming wave of panic followed by despair and ultimately quiet acceptance. I have reached my moment. It has come to my attention that I am hopelessly and wholeheartedly behind. I never do anything halfway; if I'm going to do something, I promise I'll give it my everything. And folks, I did my best. I avoided the computer. I tried to make some memories, good or bad. And we had, for better, worse, and everything in between, a summer. 

I did manage to get just a few pictures. So, grandparents, besties, and anyone bored enough to stick around, I give you.....Summer: (in no particular order)

I turned 40. Someday I'll write myself a letter about it. For now, I'll just say that 40 means getting excited about a news story on NPR--heard while nursing a four month old. Forty is weird. 


Forty isn't what I expected. It's so much better. 


Four decades celebrated. 

And this girl has been there for nearly three decades of the four. 

This dude had a big birthday too; he'll tell you it was 30, because he gave his birthday to me. 



The unexpected and best part of being 40. 

We don't have a lake house or a boat. Someday we might join a real golf club. For now, early mornings at Top Golf are just enough. 




G discovered selfies. 


She might be well fed. 

This will be featured in both of their wedding slide shows. 

This girl turned 4 months old. I nearly missed getting her picture. 
We made it. Sleep sacks are cute, right?


Bunny snuggles. 

A new obsession. 

When you have a big sister. 



KDL, this chill baby is for you.

Soccer season kicked off (ha!). 
This girl is a pro; she's been napping on the pitch since she was a week old. 



We took a walk on the wild side. 








A new swimmer has been added to our team.

There was a beach. 




We thought a size 9 months was big enough. We were wrong. 


We rode a lawn-mower train. It was a everything I hoped for and more. 



Swings are the best.



We had a mommy date. 



Big brothers are all kinds of fantastic. They remind us, "Life is too short for mean people and soggy potato chips." Preach, brother. 







If you can work a doily on your head, you work it, girl.









There was an eclipse worth watching (and worth skipping school for a few hours). 

Protect those peepers!




This one turned five months old too. 


Oh. Goodness. 



We spent so many hours keeping our heads above water. 





Last summer, there were two and a secret. This summer there are three. 
It was a summer. There was pool time and party time, up time and down time. We stayed up too late and ate a barrel of cheese balls. We took a break. We recharged. And, as with all good things, it came to an end far too quickly. We're studying for spelling tests and hitting the fields. I've enjoyed the break, but it's time to up my game. The babe is the third child; her baby book is a record of our family history more than a volume of her life. But, it's time I reopen the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment