Monday, May 30, 2016

A Year of Some; and the Summer of None

"Are we there yet?" "How much longer?" "Is it the end?"

I've asked all of the important questions this year. Finally, I'm hearing the answers I want. 

Yes! We've made it! The wait is over! Summer is here!

This year was a year of some new things. We had homework. Yes, we had homework; first grade homework is no joke. It really does take a village; and the village had better understand diphthongs. This was our first attempt at 2 kids, 2 grades, and 2 full time jobs. I learned some new recipes and made some new friends; RJ learned some new words; and Gigi picked up some new letters along the way. I fell behind on the family blog, but I didn't fall behind on the family. We had some fun (actually so much fun). It was the year of some. And, with every sandwich scarfed on the way to dance lessons; with every late evening drive across town from swim lessons; with every Friday night spent searching for shin guards, water bottles, and soccer balls, I started building my case. The issue? Whether kids (and parents) really need to be scheduled every evening of every week. Whether our family needed a break from some things. I started to lobby for my cause: the summer of none. No commitments. No practices, rehearsals, games, or schedules. It started as a joke. 

"I'm done," I'd laugh. "I just want to come home, throw sandwiches in the cooler, and spend all summer at the pool." 

Somewhere along the way it became less a joke and more a commitment. 

Two weeks ago, we said goodbye to the three-year old preK and the first grade: 

(I totally wish those hydrangeas were mine; they're totally the neighbor's.)

Our little Lutheran school sends them on their way with blessings. 

This boy was blessed too; he's a Reading Champion and a Green Machine. Green Machines are pretty rare; you see, it means he didn't get a single frowny face all year, only green smiley faces. It's kind of a big deal. 

And with a blessing and one last ride in the toot mobile (I don't ask what goes on during the drive to school; that's between them and their daddy), the year of so many some things came to an end--almost:
There was still the matter of two dress rehearsals and a recital. 

"Gigi! I didn't know you were going to be center stage!" I told her after the recital, a full stage production of The Wizard of Oz.  "I think it's because I'm pretty," she piped back at me. "And because I know to go potty before and after, but not during." 

The village comprised of grandparents, parents, and two nannies pulled it off. And, there was only one car sandwich involved. I call this one "Portrait of a Working Mom." And I suspect she'll grow up just fine anyway. Stay tuned for Chapter 8,936 in which we will learn Gigi's fate. 


 And with that, we committed to the Summer of None. No evening practices; no dinners eaten in the swagger wagon; few commitments and even fewer things to do. 

The Summer of None has begun!

We kicked it off with good vibrations. It's hard to feel too much pressure when the Beach Boys take the stage. 

He's going to make a great dad someday; and his wife will appreciate knowing that he was never too cool for babies. 


I'll dress like her as long as she'll tolerate me. 

We've taken time to find the perfect summer sandals. 

And the kids are re-discovering some old favorites; 

taking time to appreciate the goodness that is summer; and 


learning to appreciate each other more than they already do. 

Their Summer of None might have just a little bit of fun. 

"Ryan," I asked, "Are you going to be a fireman?" 
"Yes!"


"And I'm going to marry a fireman!" 

I sincerely hope that they realize what a special summer they're having. 

"Is it time yet?" Yes! Finally! The pool is open!

It's time for popsicles. 


Time for sillies. 

Time for none. Nothing but quiet moments that make up childhood, and 


the moments that remind us of the childhood that was year after year of summers of none. 








No comments:

Post a Comment