Monday, September 30, 2013

I Run for Fun

Loyal readers know that the past few months have been just a wee bit rocky for me. Aside from writing, I had to find something to occupy my mind and to exhaust my body so that I could sleep when Gigi decided she would sleep.

I used to be a swimmer, but the pool hours aren't friendly to my schedule (did you know there is actually a 5 o'clock in the morning?). And, pool chemicals aren't friendly to my, ahem, natural blonde locks.

So, last June, I downloaded an app or two on my phone, laced up my 3-year old sneakers and went for a jog. Two hills and three blocks later, I was dying. Have you ever run up a hill only to discover that the peak was hiding another hill, higher than the first? And in Oklahoma, an uphill doesn't necessarily have a downhill?!

I kept going. My bestie kept texting me and kept posting things like "I love running through sprinklers!" If she could love running through sprinklers, then dang it, so could I.

I ran through sprinklers. I ditched my running shoes and bought new ones.

I hit 12 minutes! Then 11!

I ran 2 miles! Then 3!

I won't tell you my average pace or distance now. It's either embarrassing or bragging, depending on the day.

My bestie still texts me and posts things. I find myself saying things like, "This one time, on a run, I ran smack into a garbage can."

I run because it kills my ankles until it doesn't. I run because my music chases my thoughts away. I run because the serotonin flows until it doesn't, and I can finally sleep.

I run because sometimes, you just want to be a kid with your heart pounding, arms flailing, legs pumping, and joy overcoming all of you until you just start prancing (only every now and again, but I do prance.).

I run because it's fun?


She definitely had fun. 


We look pretty good for a two hour wait.


Pink is our color. 


We did it! We did made it!

 My bestie got me good after the race. Good thing pink is my color.


And yes, I run because it's fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment