Tuesday, August 30, 2011

First Day Jitters

My stomach is queasy. I don't want to eat my waffles, and I wish we had just 10 more minutes to watch Curious George. But, it's the first day of school. We've prepared. We talked about it. We visited the teacher. We read Llama Llama Misses Mama and learned that little llama can love his mama and school too!

But, I confess, the three-year old is better prepared for this first day than his mommy.  He was ready to learn. He was ready to play. He was not, however, quite ready for the goodbying this morning. R.J. has a particular affection for ladies wearing dresses. So, at open house a few nights ago, he was tickled to see his teacher in a long white skirt: "That my teacher? In the pretty skirt?" He grinned.

Today she was wearing leggings and a zebra print top. A darling outfit. My son may never recover from the shock.

I took the teacher's advice. A quick goodbye: "R.J., you have a good day. Mommy and 'Sisa will be back in just a little while to pick you up." Startled eyes. Tears. "Mommy, don't go! I tired!"

He's not tired. He's worried. I know this because I watched him flick his wrists in the hallway before he bravely marched toward the classroom. I worry too. How can this baby be in school? (In quiet confession I admit--he still poops his pants, proven this morning--but we pretend he's potty trained so that he can go learn some A,B,C's. His teacher may hate me someday. Not today. The  Big Issue has been resolved for today. But someday.).

R.J. is in good hands. He will have a good day. But until 11:30 when he tells me so, I will worry. Because I'm his mommy. And today, mommy can't fix it all for him. Updates to follow, but until then...First Day of School!





No comments:

Post a Comment