Thursday, July 21, 2011

Some things about being a mom

  1. I like being a mom. I like the smell of sweaty toddler after a day of play, and I like toddler bathtime even more. My baby gets "aroma therapy" every night (I let him pick the conditioner for his hair--Pantene or Coconut--he's kind of girly like that).  I like playing cars, and I like it more when I realize that playing cars has become an excuse to sit in mommy's lap and lean back for snuggles.
  2. Being a mom is hard. Imagine the one person in your life you love more than anything else. The one you would die for. The one you will subject yourself to a flu shot for (maybe that's just me...needle phobia and all).  Imagine his world has come to an end. Tears. Stomps. Collapsing on the bathroom floor naked in a heap of blankets. Because you took Big Thomas away for bedtime. And more than anything, you want to give Big Thomas back. But you can't. Because it's bedtime. 
  3. There are very few things in this world that a popsicle can't fix. Even losing Big Thomas.
  4.  Llama, Llama Red Pajama has a certain lyrical quality that can immediately lull an exhausted little boy into a cozy drooling state (not necessarily sleeping--my boy is just a drooler).
  5. I like talking to other moms. Not necessarily other lawyer moms (I enjoy those conversations too). But I really like the conversations that lean toward discussions of just exactly how many dinners can you cook in a crockpot? And, what do you do when your child refuses (and I mean refuses) to poop in the potty? I learned two nights ago that moms of little girls have bow parties! I get to go to a bow party! Pink! Ribbons! Daisies! I'm like a 6-year old with a bigger allowance! 
  6. Potty training isn't for wimps. Or weak stomachs.
  7. Nothing reminds you of the importance of the family dinner table than hearing a toddler say the blessing: "T'ank you for mama...and daddy....and 'Sisa...and David...and Grandma...and Grandma Cathy...and Poppy....and Grandpa...and pasta food...and bread food...and cheese....and that (pointing to garlic salt)....and that (pointing to place mats)....and...AMEN!" And why shouldn't we be thankful for garlic salt and place mats and pasta food? 
  8. Teaching a boy that toots aren't funny isn't easy. Toots are funny.
  9. Stickers are awesome. Stickers from the WalMart greeter make grocery shopping go much smoother. And so do the special car carts at Crest. 
  10. I actually like the John Tesh radio show. It plays at our neighborhood pool every evening. I think I'm getting old. Or mature. Or nerdier.

No comments:

Post a Comment